Sunday, September 4, 2011

Brain Dump


So again, I haven't updated this thing in about 2 weeks. Shame. So here's a short synopsis of the past two weeks, and from now on I'll try to post at least once a week :)

On August 21st my MIL invited me to go to lunch with her at our favorite place in town: Tai Kitchen. She mentioned something about going to dinner there because my brother had just started working there, but I told her he didn't work until that evening. She said she didn't care, she wanted lunch there. So we went, and as soon as we got seated I turned around and Will was there. He wasn't supposed to be home until 2.5 days later, so I was kind of shocked. He can never surprise me. I always know what he's planning because he's so bad at keeping secrets. I knew when he was going to propose. I almost always know what my gifts are going to be. So he did really well keeping the secret. But I immediately got on to him for making the 11 hour drive overnight by himself. Dangerous. Oh, and he forgot my wedding ring in Houston. We had dropped it off at the jeweler's to be re-dipped (we don't have that particular store around here), and he was supposed to pick it up before he left. So I'm without my ring until at least Thanksgiving when we go back down there. I've been wearing a cheap-o from Clairs, and funnily enough almost everyone has noticed and asked if I got a new ring. Um, we're college students. No, I didn't just get a new ring.

Saturday we had a garage sale. It was pretty good, as far as garage sales go I suppose. Funny enough, it was Will's old X-Box games that sold for about $5 a piece that made the most of the money. I was really surprised at how much of my stuff didn't sell. I mean, come on people! Cute purses! Cute clothes! What is your problem?







That afternoon we went to GNC to get some protein powder. $140 later, we had whey and casein protein and some creatine. Will and I really dedicated ourselves to getting back into shape, and over the past week we did really well. I went to gym 6/7 days, and he went every day, usually twice a day. Our schedules are so packed between our two jobs each and 18 hours of classes each, that we usually don't have a whole lot of time at once. When we went to the gym on Saturday I lifted with Will instead of doing my usual routine. Holy bananas. I was so sore for about three days after that, I could barely walk. Squats are killers, but they made me feel so good. We went on a few walks the couple of days after that 'cause there was no way this body was going anywhere fast.

Don't let this picture fool you. This is a golf course we pass on our normal route. We live in a desert where everything that should be green in dead. Except for the irresponsible people/businesses that keep watering and draining our aquifer so their grass looks pretty.

Hill number 1

Boomer

Sunday Sunrise


On Sunday the 28th, Will and I helped out the Honor's Program that we're a part of put on their annual shindig for freshmen to get acquainted with the program. I was the official "photographer". Hahah.


Classes started on Monday. They weren't nearly as bad as I was expecting. In fact, I'm actually pretty excited about them. Last semester was a pretty tough one, as far as getting motivated goes. My grades suffered a little, and I'm determined to do better, not procrastinate as much, and buckle down so that in 6 six years, I don't look back and wish I had done better.

So our week looked like: Tutor, class, work, lunch, tutor, work, workout, class, class, work, tutor, workout. You get the picture. We're both busy from 8 am to 5 pm every day, and Tuesdays I have class until 8:10, Wednesdays I have a CKI meeting until at 7:30, and Thursdays I go the Kiwanis meeting at 6:30 a.m. and have my own board meeting that starts at 8:30 p.m. So long days. But just one more year of this. At least after graduation, I won't have homework to worry about keeping me up until 2 a.m.

Will took this lovely photo of me while I was at work.
Yesterday my friend Brandy went with me to "Town" because I needed to run a few errands. First up: new running shoes. The ones I've been using I just bought in March or April (and I didn't really start running consistently until July), but every time I run my shins kill me. Not shin splints, but just a lot of pressure. And it kind of feels like I'm running on the ground, because there's not a whole lot of padding/cushion/whatever you call it. And when I do my long runs (anything over 2.5 miles lol), my feet hurt in the area that connects the arch up through the ball of my foot up through my big toe. Weird.


So we went to a fairly new store called "Get Fit". As far as I know, it's the only store that does the gait analysis around here. The lady was super nice, and watched me walk for several minutes and measured my feet before pulling 3 pairs of shoes for me to try. Apparently, I need a 7.5 size, not the 7 that I always buy. And something about my feet being wide. Whatevs. And when I walk, my arch collapses and I pronate my feet inward. So she pulled stabilizing shoes, and she was really surprised when the "medium support" made no difference. Eventually she pulled about 3 more pairs, and we got it narrowed down to 2 pairs. One was ugly. Like, butt-freakin ugly. No way would I have ever worn those in public. So when she had me walk around in them I purposefully rolled my feet inward. Don't tell.

These are the ones I ended up getting: Brooks Trance 10



These are the first real running shoes I've ever had. They look so.... running shoes-like. But honestly, I'm really excited. I want to run. Yeah, it's hard and sometimes I have to just make myself get on the treadmill and push 'start.' But I know it's good for me, and I really feel good about myself when I do it. But it's hard when I know the pain is coming, and these shoes should all but eliminate it. I paid more money for these shoes than I ever thought I would ($141+tax), but it will be worth it. These were my birthday present from Will, so that makes them even more special :)

The lady at the store got on to me for my cotton socks. I have fairly small feet, and I wear little girl socks because they don't show above my shoe line. But apparently, socks are the second most important piece of running gear because sweat-wicking ones with a band around the middle will: keep my feet cooler, distribute the sweat evenly to prevent blisters, and the band will help hold up my arch a little bit. After socks are running bras, which I really need to invest in as well. I currently use whatever I've had since high school from Target and Walmart. I know what will be on my Christmas list!

After the shoe store, Brandy and I went to the mall because I needed to go to Victoria's Secret for some new undies. Confession: I've never bough a pair of undies there or done the 5/$25 because I think it's way too expensive. I LOVE the coupons for the free ones I get in the mail, but I finally decided it was time to invest. And as luck would have it, they were running a special for 7/$25! So I didn't change my mind at the last second like I normally do, and I bought all 7 pairs.

And after the mall, we ventured over to Target, where we got best friend rings:

Yes, uber crappy pic, but they are slim band with a heart in the middle. On the side, mine says "friends are the family we choose for ourselves" and hers simply says "friends". I love them. Even though we're in college and not in the 3rd grade.

Then, last night Will and I went out to eat at the most successful local restaurant. I got the Light Veg Out, with a Caesar salad, fried okra, and broccoli casserole.




I am powerless against friend okra. It's the one of the very few fried things I really really like. The broccoli casserole was kinda a bust, but I still ate a little of it.

And then we came home and watched 24. Have you watched it? IT IS SO GOOD.

Via
My FIL started watching it a few weekends ago on Netflix, and I was in the living room trying to read but it kept sucking me in. We have watched like 27 episodes now, and it's still as good as it was at the beginning. It's like NCIS or Law and Order, but each episode continues the story. There's no f-words, which is nice. And to prove it's good, this is the ONE show my MIL will actually sit down and watch and keep up with. She has never in the 5 years I've been with this family, done that before. Go watch it. Now.

And this morning, we woke up to... wait for it..... temperatures below 90 degrees!!! After 50-something days with temperatures about 100 degrees, the highs for this entire week are in the low 80s. The current temp is 63 degrees, feels like 63. Every window in the house is open. This is glorious.


Clouds!
The cats enjoy this weather too:


And Will is doing homework.

A few other random notes from the past week or two:

My boss (or I guess, my recent boss), brought in her new baby for a few hours so we could meet him and all go to lunch before she and her family left the state for her husband's job.

Such a cutie pie. My co-worker Emily and I were super sad to see her leave. She was seriously the best boss I've ever had. She was a friend, a boss, a mentor, and someone I trusted. I am so happy for her and her family on this new adventure they're taking, but it's hard to see her go :)

When Will and I went to the mall last weekend, we went through Seare's and I made a pit-stop to look at the appliances. Here's my dream stove:


For only $6,000 this could be ours. Or maybe we could pay off our student loans first. Whatevs.

I made these "fried mozzarella sticks" out of string cheese and egg roll wrappers from something inspiration I saw on Pinterest. Verdict- Don't do it. Gross.


My FIL's 49th birthday was Wednesday. Since he and my MIL are going on a cruise in November for the 25th wedding anniversary, we gave him some cash for gambling. Gambling is against the law here in Texas, so generally people who like to gamble take advantage whenever they can.




Haha.

We put a $20 on the outside, with 20 one dollar bills on the inside. We are tricky like that. Hahhahahahaha.
Normally we don't like to give money as a gift, but since he will honestly enjoy this and it will prevent my MIL from disapproving the use of their money for gambling, I say it's a win-win situation.

I think that about sums up the past few weeks. We don't have class tomorrow, but we are still working and helping the Kiwanis with their flags, and I have to shoot a video with the other officers for our first CKI meeting on Wednesday.

What are your plans for Labor Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...